Do you have big ideas for the Honors College? Have you ever wanted to see the “inner workings” of higher education administration? Would you like enviable offices, shelves upon shelves of medieval literature, and the title of “head honcho” here in Gearhart Hall?
If you answered yes to any of the above, you might have what it takes to be our next Dean for a Day!
Dr. Lynda Coon, Honors Dean extraordinaire, is seeking one special honors student to be the Honors College Dean for a Day. This lucky student dean will attend a variety of meetings with the TOP campus administrators, address honors staff and students, and conduct planning sessions with honors program directors. This student will have a chance to articulate areas of improvement for the Honors College and speak to student needs and desires. In turn, Dean Coon will experience a day in YOUR shoes by attending some of your classes and meetings, and will gain a better understanding of a day in the life of an honors student.
The Dean for a Day schedule is as follows:
September 29th, time TBD – Meet with Associate Dean Dr. Jennie Popp to discuss Dean for a Day schedule
October 2nd, 9:30 a.m. – Introduction at Honors College Convocation by Dean Coon
October 3rd- Dean for a Day!
8:30-9:00 a.m. Meet with Chancellor Steinmetz
9:30-10:00 a.m. Meet with Provost Coleman: 9:30-10:00 a.m.
10:30-11:30 a.m. Meet with Honors Students in GEAR 130
Noon – 1:00 p.m. Lunch with Honors College staff in GEAR 129
1:30 – 3:15 p.m. Hold office hours in GEAR 255, Dean’s Office
- Staff and Honors faculty will come with questions and concerns!
- Student dean is encouraged to schedule meetings during this time should he/she feel it necessary
3:30-5:00 p.m. Meet with the directors of the honors programs, GEAR 243
Have we piqued your interest yet? In order to apply for this exciting opportunity, complete the following steps:
Submit a Dean for a Day Application.
- Prepare two brief essays answering these questions:
- What does it mean to be an honors student?
- How will you promote the mission of the Honors College through the various constituent groups you meet?
- Submit your daily schedule: all applicants must submit their typical schedule for Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017. This schedule will give us a sense of Dean Coon’s potential day in YOUR shoes! If you are selected as Dean for a Day, you must commit to FULL involvement as the student dean- this means getting prior approval for missing courses as well as extracurricular meetings and activities.
- Create a minute-long campaign video (slogans encouraged) in which you “pitch” your “candidacy” to the student body. If you are selected as a finalist, students will use this video to vote for you as Dean for a Day. Sell them on why they should choose you! Submit your campaign videos via UARK Dropbox to email@example.com. Your subject line must be LastnameFirstnameIDnumber (for example:DoeJane012345678). Your application will NOT be considered complete until we receive your email.
- Faculty member nomination: provide the name of a faculty member who would support your candidacy as “Dean for a Day.” You will provide the name and email of this faculty member on your application. Let your faculty recommender know that he or she will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions on how to provide a recommendation.
Deadline: All applications are due by September 13th. Finalists will be notified via email by September 19th, and student voting will take place September 20-27.
Need some inspiration? Check out the following campaign videos from the Dean for a Day Contest at the University of Montana Business School! https://theaudienceawards.com/videocontests/dean-for-a-day-video-contest-122780?sh=14787051815yvsjX.
The Fine Print: If selected as Dean for a Day, you will be asked to blog about your experience as our Student Dean.
Questions? Email email@example.com with any questions, and see you on TOP!